Thursday, March 23, 2006
My Wife and I...

While working the other day, I had to work with someone who had came to fix a machine. He was one of those older guys who loved to talk....
In every sentence he used; My wife and I... Here I am standing there and thinking; "for all those years I was married to my ex husband" he never included me in anything not to mention his sentences.... I think part of it is because of our culture and how we were raised. They show more respect to ladies here. But at the same time I see lots of lranian guys who do care about their wives and the way they treat them.....
I was so happy for the old guy and his wife.... It gave me joy to see that look in his eyes everytime he talks about his wife and what they share....

If only everyone cared about others feelings.....

 
posted by Persianeyes at 1:03 PM |


1 Comments:


At March 23, 2006 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

As Iranian man and father of two beautiful daughters, I must disagree with you. May be my disagreement is some kind of agreement on the subject of why Iranian men do not show their affection toward their lover/wife/girlfriend as freely/publicly as they should.
We all criticize our generation for not showing emotion. Well, where were we supposed to learned this skill? From our father, big brothers, uncles, or next door neighbors? Must realize that the pressure on young men to be strong always comes with instruction as how to hide their emotion. That on the top of a custom which teach men not to show any affection toward wife in public for the reason of religion. How do we expect anything else from a custom that believe intimacy is something un-pure? That is why special shower is instructed after sexual intercourse as a means of re-purification. So showing emotion/effection toward your wife will be interpreted as a sexual act which is prohibited. This has been extended in some cases which the husband refer to his wife as the mother of his first son or first child to prevent showing anything at all!
So it is not a simple act to overcome just because we have moved to western culture. Part of our fight within ourselves is to maintain our culture in any ways and means regardless of the quality of what we are holding on to. Hope next generation do better